Disability Services: Overview
To provide services and resources that will ensure qualified students with documented disabilities have equal opportunity to pursue their college education. The office also acts as a resource to the campus community regarding mandated services and disability related inquiries.
The American with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines the term disability as follows:
The term “disability” means, with respect to an individual;
(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life
activities of such individual;
(B) a record of such an impairment; or
(C) being regarded as having such an impairment.
Practices of the Miami University Hamilton Campus Office of Disability Services are guided by this legal definition. Please refer to www.ada.gov for more information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Consultation with feeder schools and prospective students regarding disability and transition needs
- Disability documentation review
- Accomodation approval and monitoring
- Psychoeducational testing referrals
- Advising referrals
- Learning Assistance referrals
- Oversight of campus accessibility matters
- Coordination of auxiliary aids for students with disabilities
- Provide the campus community with education on disability related matters.
- Self-Disclose your disability by contacting the Coordinator of Disability Services Stephanie Dawson at 513-785-3211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule and attend initial screening meeting with the Coordinator of Disability Services.
- Provide disability documentation.
- Attend accommodation meeting with the Coordinator of Disability Services to finalize accommodations and receive letters of accommodation to present to faculty.
- Self-advocate and communicate with instructors, other campus community members and the Office of Disability Services staff regarding your needs.