Skip to Content
Ask a Librarian! instant messaging icon IM | email icon Email | phone icon Phone | link icon Links    
rentschler library homepage rentschler reference

Community Resources for Students & Their Families

Housing | Food | Health Care | Mental & Emotional Health | Substance Abuse | Transportation | Childcare | Parenting & Sufficiency Skills | Employment & Job Skills | Budgeting & Financials | Legal Assistance | Safety

Foster Care Logo

To find out more about Miami University resources for Foster Care Alumni and to connect to a campus Foster Liaison, please see the Regionals Foster Care Alumni page. On the Hamilton Campus, you can also email Chris Bennett Klefeker at for support. You can print the resources listed on this page by using the print option in your computer’s browser.


Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority
Low income housing vouchers available to those who qualify.
Hamilton 868-9661, Middletown 422-2341
Trail Bridge Townhomes
Your rent is based on income, with lower income families paying less in rent. These are located at 660 Lafayette Ave in Middletown.
(513) 424-0505
Dove House – Domestic Violence Issues
Dove House, Hamilton, offers shelter to women and their children who have obtained (or are in the process of obtaining) a restraining order against their abuser. Even if you are not looking for housing, but would like to talk with someone about a domestic violence concern, please call 863-7099 in Hamilton or 1-800-618-6523.
The YWCA provides separate housing to homeless single women with no children who have at least one of the following criteria: a diagnosed mental illness, a diagnosed substance abuse problem, HIV/AIDS, or a physical impairment. Call 856-9800.
Chosen – Serve City
Chosen is a temporary shelter for single homeless men and women (no children) located on 622 East Avenue. Must show Butler County ID and can have no sexual convictions. Clothing is also available. You can check in between 9-5pm M-F and it is preferable to call first at 737-8900.
This agency can provide you emergency financial assistance to help you pay for utilities or to avoid an eviction. You can call them at: 868-9300

Top of Page


Butler County Job and Family Services (ODJFS)
In order to qualify for food stamps, housing vouchers, cash assistance, Medicaid, child care vouchers and a number of other services, one must fill out a universal form at the office of ODJFS. You can call your local office for directions at: 887-4000. 7-11am 315 High Street on the 8th floor of the Government Service Center. For more info check out

Food Pantries:
  • Fellowship Christian Center Pantry: 32 North 7th Street, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 867-1991.
  • Hamilton Community Outreach: 134 Walnut St. Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 518-6528.
  • Hamilton Dream Center Food Pantry: 180 North Fair Avenue, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 893-2800.
  • Holding Hands/Pat’s Pantry: 2355 Jacksonburg Road, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 868-3265.
  • Kelly’s House of Love: 703 Heaton Street, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 858-1591.
  • Lighthouse Food Pantry: 626 Ridgelawn Avenue, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 867-9463.
  • New Life Baptist Mission: 415 Henry Street, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 896-9800.
  • Open Door Food Pantry: 800 South Front St. Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 868-3276.
  • Princeton Pike Church of God: 2470 Princeton Pike, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 867-1995.
  • Samaritan Ministry Center: 621 South Erie Boulevard, Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 896-5354.
  • Serve City: 622 East Ave. Hamilton, OH Hours: Tuesday 10-12pm, Thursday 10-12pm and Saturday 10-12pm, must show proof of Butler County Residency, a current photo ID for anyone over 18 yrs. and birth certificates or school ID for children under the age of 18 yrs. You can call: (513) 737-9701.
  • St. Raphael Social Service Center: 610 High St. Hamilton, OH. Phone: (513) 603-8200.
Soup Kitchens
Community Meal Center
23 South Front Street, Hamilton, OH 45011. Phone: (513) 867-5411.
Women Infants and Children (WIC)
WIC is a federally-funded health and nutrition program for women, infants, and children. WIC helps families by providing checks for buying healthy supplemental foods from WIC-authorized vendors, nutrition education, and help finding healthcare and other community services. Participants must meet income guidelines and be pregnant women, new mothers, infants or children under age five.
For a Directory of Clinics in Butler County call: 896-7022

Top of Page

Health Care

If you are at a certain percentage below the poverty line you could qualify for Medicaid by applying at your local ODJFS office. *If you were emancipated from foster care at the age of 18 (or were adopted at age 13 or older) then you qualify for Medicaid until you are 21 yrs old. You will need to fill out the application in person, but you can call ODJFS at 887-4000. You can also visit and look under programs to learn more about Medicaid and how to apply.
Care Source
This program provides health coverage to individuals who do not qualify for Medicaid, but still fall within a certain low income range. Call 1-800-488-0134 for more information.
Planned Parenthood
Contact Planned Parenthood if you are in need of a pregnancy test, STD test, contraception, prenatal care, or your annual PAP Test/exam as well as follow ups to abnormal PAPs. Planned Parenthood provides these services on a sliding fee scale, meaning if you are low income services will be cheaper, if not free of charge. Hamilton 856-8332, Middletown 424-0344, Springdale 772-2207 (in Hamilton County).
Student Health Insurance
As a student you can purchase insurance through Miami University. Students are eligible if they are part-time or full-time students, and you can also purchase coverage for your spouse and/or children. These prices are NOT adjusted by income; however the brochure breaks down exactly how much you would need to pay depending on your selected plan. You can register online:, or stop by Student Services in 130 Rentschler Hall, or call 785-3211 in Hamilton. You can also stop by the Student Affairs office in Middletown, or call 727-3205 for more information.
Bever Community Health Center
This medical facility is staffed by Doctors and a Nurse Practitioner and provides basic health care services to members of our community. Services include health screenings, sick visits, baby and child check-ups, and immunizations. This office is located at 210 South Second Street in Hamilton. They see patients from 8:30am-6:30pm on Mondays and Thursdays, and from 8:30am-5:00pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Interpretation services provided. Blood work is also provided. 892-1888
Dental Emergency Fund
The Dental Emergency Fund provides finances for dental care for children under the age of 18 yrs in financial need who are residents of the following communities: Trenton, Monroe, LeSourdesville and small section of Warren County near the Middletown Mall. Please call the number below to find out if your child will qualify. (513) 423-4637
Prescription Relief
If you are having trouble paying for your prescriptions, please visit this website:
Women Infants and Children (WIC)
WIC is a federally-funded health and nutrition program for women, infants, and children. WIC helps families by providing checks for buying healthy supplemental foods from WIC-authorized vendors, nutrition education, and help finding healthcare and other community services. Participants must meet income guidelines and be pregnant women, new mothers, infants, or children under age five. For a Directory of Clinics in Butler County call: 896-7022.
Butler County Rape Crisis Hotline
*24hrs a day calls are free and confidential, trained counselors available. 523-4146 Oxford; 894-7002 West Chester or Riley Township Area; 424-5498 Middletown

Top of Page

Mental/Emotional Health

24 HR Crisis Call Center
Hamilton/Oxford 523-4146 Hamilton/West Chester 894-7002 Middletown 424-5498 *Calls are free and confidential, trained counselors available.
Provides housing to homeless single women with no children who have a diagnosed mental illness or are HIV positive or have a physical impairment. Your rent is based on your income. Call 856-9800.
Forensic and Mental Health Services
Provides diagnostic services and counseling; you must be on Medicaid. Call 867-5866.
Butler Behavioral Health Care
Provides counseling and psychiatric care on a sliding fee scale and they also accept Medicaid. Call 896-7887 for counseling in Hamilton. If you have a diagnosed mental illness you can also join the social recreation club by calling Harbor House at 896-7780.
Comprehensive Counseling Service
(513) 424-0921. Located in Middletown. They do NOT operate on a sliding fee scale. They serve adults and children and provide the following types of outpatient counseling services: drug and alcohol, anger management, psychiatry, domestic violence issues, parenting, Substance Abuse Mental Illness (SAMI program), among other topics.
Catholic Charities SouthWestern Ohio - Hamilton Service Center
Provides parenting classes, adoption services, pregnancy counseling, mental health services and treatment for children whom have been sexually abused. Catholic Charities SouthWestern Ohio of Hamilton Service Center is located at 140 N. Fifth St. Hamilton, OH 45011. Ph. 513- 863-6129 / Fax 513-863-0524 Email:
  • Monday and Wednesday: 8 am to 8 pm
  • Tuesday and Thursday: 8 am to 5 pm
  • Friday: 8 am to 4:30 pm
  • Services by appointment
Any resident of Butler County that meets program criteria is eligible. Fees based on ability to pay (sliding scale fee). Accept Medicaid, Medicare, and some other third party insurance.
Miami University Counseling Center
Students enrolled full time on the Oxford campus can visit the campus counseling center for individual or group counseling appointments. For more information please visit their website: Students enrolled on the Hamilton campus may visit Mary Bausano, a licensed mental health and career counselor. Call 785-3211 to make an appointment. Students enrolled on the Middletown campus may contact Nancy Ferguson, a licensed mental health and career counselor. For an appointment please call 727-3431.
Health Department

Top of Page

Substance Abuse

Community Behavioral Health, Inc
This is a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center with a primary focus on mental health and substance abuse treatment based at 820 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in Hamilton and at 829 Elliott Drive in Middletown. This provider is also called Horizon Services. The treatment center provides outpatient care. There are special groups and programs for adolescents, persons with co-occurring mental and substance abuse disorders, and criminal justice groups. Special language services provided include assistance for hearing impaired. Payments via Medicare, state financed insurance, Medicaid, private insurance, and military insurance are accepted. Payment assistance is offered by way of sliding fee scale for Butler County residents and on a case by case basis (check with facility for specifics). Call (513) 887-8500 in Hamilton or (513) 424-1193 in Middletown.
Grace Chapel of Praise
Located in Hamilton, for men only. 896-5354
Sorjourner Recovery Services
Sorjourner also provides assessments with no obligation of seeking treatment. This facility is located in Hamilton. Call 868-7654

Top of Page


Universal Transportation Service (UTS)
UTS provides transportation to those who are on Medicaid and need a ride to any medical appointment, including therapy sessions. Anywhere in the county call 829-1287.* You should call your caseworker first.

Top of Page


Day Care Vouchers from ODJFS
If you are low income you can contact ODJFS (Ohio Dept. of Jobs and Family Services) to fill out an application for public assistance, including day care financial assistance. You can call 785-6845. Day care voucher number: 785-6808 Only accredited, licensed centers are on the list to accept day care vouchers. These centers must meet certain criteria and pass all inspections. A list of centers who accept the vouchers is included with this packet. Please note that all three of the Miami University daycares DO accept state day care vouchers.
Miami University Child Care
Mini University *located on the Oxford Campus, accepts children from the age of 6wks through 12yrs. Call 529-8383 or check out If you are a full time student on the Oxford campus and your family gross income is below $40,000 you may qualify for a grant to help pay your childcare expenses. Check out:
Campus Kids
*located on the Hamilton Campus, accepts children from the age of 18 months through 6yrs. Just call 785-3011 or visit the website:
Middletown Campus
Child care is also located on the Middletown Campus. This program accepts children between the ages of 3yrs old until Kindergarten. Call 727-5470 or check out:

Top of Page

Parenting & Sufficiency Skills

Malachi Youth Opportunities
This program is located in both Middletown and Hamilton. They offer income-based services (funded through the Workforce Investment Act) for young adults between the ages of 18yrs and 21yrs. If you qualify, you can take part in social programs, get help with your resume writing and job search, take part in parenting classes and budgeting workshops among other topics. If you are an emancipated youth who was formerly in foster care, or were adopted after the age of 16yrs, please let them know when you call since you may qualify for additional services. Call Jody Williams at 420-4618.

Top of Page

Employment & Job Skills

Miami University Career Services
Visit: From this website you can access links to the offices on the Oxford, Hamilton, and Middletown campuses. These offices provide a variety of free services to students, including helping them with resume writing, interviewing skills, and assisting them with securing co-ops and internships.
Work Force One
This agency provides job training, help with resume writing and keeps a computerized state-wide data base of available jobs in OH. Anyone can use the job databank, but some of the other services may be limited to lower income individuals under the age of 21yrs. You can call 887-3237. Let them know if you were emancipated from foster care, since you would qualify for programs funded by the Workforce Investment Act.
This Hamilton based agency can provide temporary transportation to job interview along with providing you with clothing appropriate for a job interview among other assistance. Call 868-9300.
Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation
BVR provides job training and job coaching to individuals with documented disabilities. Call 942-8909 or 1-800-686-9506.

Top of Page

Budgeting & Financial Help

Office of Financial Aid
Students should fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) each year in order to receive grants – money you do NOT have to pay back, and to be eligible for student loans (money you DO have to pay back). Some scholarships are even based on information obtained in the FAFSA. You can complete a FAFSA online by visiting . You should communicate with your financial aid counselor if you have had a change in circumstance, like a loss of income, the birth of a child or a divorce. Financial Aid offices are located on all of Miami’s campuses. You can visit their main website to obtain general info: *If you were a ward of the court (in foster care) you may qualify for a (up to) $5,000 a year state grant called the ETV (Education and Training Voucher) Grant. You can receive this grant up until the age of 23yrs. Visit:
This agency provides emergency cash assistance for those in need of help paying a bill, such as your utilities. Call 868-9300.
If your household falls below the poverty line you may be eligible to receive cash assistance from the government. You will need to apply in person at the ODJFS office. This one application works for Medicaid, TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families), Food Stamps and more. Call 887-4000.

Top of Page

Legal Assistance

Legal Aid of Southwest Ohio
Legal Aid of Southwest Ohio provides civil legal services to low-income residents of Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, Highland and Warren Counties. Legal Aid helps people who meet income and case-type eligibility criteria with evictions, foreclosures, divorce, civil domestic violence, health and income benefits, and consumer debt problems. Call Intake at 513-241-9400.
Child Support Enforcement
This agency provides paternity tests, if needed, and will help you go after the parent that is not paying his or her court ordered child support. Call 887-3362.
Obtaining Your Birth Certificate:
Butler County Health Department 301 South Third Street (corner of Third and Ludlow) Hamilton, OH 45011 (513) 863-1770

For Births in the City of Hamilton:
Hamilton City Health Department One Renaissance Center 345 High Street, Suite 330 Hamilton, OH 45011 (513) 785-7080
For Births in the City of Middletown:
Middletown City Health Department One Donham Plaza Middletown, OH 45042 (513) 425-7851
To Obtain your Social Security Card
You will need to first get a certified copy of your birth certificate. You will then need to go to a local social security office to request a print out of your number. After you receive your print out, you can request a new social security card…….make sure you have your birth certificate first!!!
To Get your State ID
You will need to have certified copies of your birth certificate and your social security card. If you are over the age of 18, you can go to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles and tell them you need to get your state ID. If you are under 18, you will need a parent or guardian to take you!

Top of Page


Butler County Rape Crisis Hotline
*24hrs a day 523-4149
YWCA – Abused Women
The YWCA in Hamilton provides Dove House, a shelter for abused women and their children. In order to stay in the house one must have filed (or be in the process of filing) a restraining order against her abuser. Call 856-9800.
Crisis Center – Suicidal Thoughts or other Emotional Concerns
*24hr a day number with trained counselors. Oxford/Hamilton 523-4146 Hamilton/West Chester 894-7002 Middletown 424-5498 *If you ever feel you are in physical danger of any sort, call 911*

Top of Page

Miami University does not endorse any of the above mentioned providers, other than those affiliated with Miami University. This list is a sampling of social services available in Butler County and is not intended to be a comprehensive list. Information was last compiled on 2/18/2010 by Chris Klefeker, Miami University Hamilton.

If you have any questions or concerns about this packet or would like to see a particular agency added you can email Ms. Klefeker at: Special thanks to Abby Sexton and Kelly Schoenhoft of the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services for their assistance and continued support for this project.