Equipment You Can Borrow
Laptops: Miami students, faculty, and staff can checkout a laptop for overnight loan at Rentschler Library. The checkout period is for 24 hours. Laptops cannot be renewed over the phone or online, and are not able to be reserved in advance. Borrowers must fill out an "Electronic Equipment Loan Agreement" that gives details regarding fines and replacement costs, and show 2 forms of identification (a valid Miami University photo ID and a second photo ID) for their first checkout. The laptops have wireless Internet access and Microsoft Office.
Digital Cameras: The library has 3 digital Kodak cameras available for Miami affiliates to check out for 24 hours. The camera case includes a USB cable for transferring images that are taken.
Digital Voice Recorders: Miami students, faculty, and staff can borrow a digital voice recorder for 24-hour checkout. The digital voice recorders include a carrying case, microphone, and cables.
Video Cameras: Available to Miami students, faculty, and staff for 24-hour checkout are 5 Sony HD video cameras for capturing video and creating movies. Also available for 24-hour checkout are 5 Flip cameras for fast and easy video recording (non HD).
Graphing Calculator: The library has one TI-83 graphing calculator available for 2-hour use in the library. There are additional non-graphing calculators also available for 2-hour in-library use.
Micro SD Card Readers: There are 3 microcard readers available for 2-hour use in the library.
Headphones: If you'll be needing sound while working on one of the library's public computers, we ask that you respect other library patrons by using headphones or earbuds. If you do not have your own, you can check a pair out from the library for a 2 hours at a time.
Head Set: The public computers at Rentschler Library are not equipped with microphones. If you need voice recording abilities, we have a headset that is equipped with a mouthpiece that you can check out.
- Equipment may be checked out by students, faculty, and staff ONLY upon presentation of a valid Miami University photo ID and a second form of identification (driver's license or state-issued ID).
- Only one laptop may be checked out per library user.
- All equipment must be returned in-person to the Circulation Desk with equipment in hand and in the same condition as when it was checked out.
- All equipment must undergo maintenance upon return and cannot be immediately re-circulated. Equipment is not eligible for renewal.
- Files and data cannot be saved to the laptop. Laptop memory will be cleared when powered off; data saved to other equipment will be deleted when returned.
- Battery power for the equipment may not last the entire checkout period; the Library recommends checking battery power and frequently saving personal files to a flash drive, network folder, or email account to prevent loss of work.
- Changes to the laptop operating system or memory systems, including downloading software, are strictly prohibited. Changes may be made to an iPad through a personal Apple ID. A factory reset will be completed when the item is returned.
- The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to the user's files or peripheral devices due to equipment or network malfunction.
- Failure to return overdue items and/or pay fines will result in revocation of borrowing privileges.
- If equipment is returned late 3 times, borrowing privileges will be revoked for the rest of the semester.
- Users will be automatically billed the replacement cost of any piece of equipment that is past due for three days. Users who are billed replacement charges for any piece of equipment will have borrowing privileges permanently revoked for all equipment.
Overdue Fines & Replacement Costs
Replacement Costs vary Per Item
- Laptop: $1,100.00
- Laptop A/C Adaptor Cord: $90.00
- iPad: $500.00
- Digital Voice Recorder: $500.00
- Digital Camera: $199.00
- Video Camera: $500.00
- Flip Camera: $150.00
Overdue fines for each piece of equipment are $5.00 per hour, to a $100.00 maximum + a $25.00 maximum billing fee. Items begin to accrue overdue fines immediately and continue hourly regardless of the library's hours of operation. Please be alert and return your equipment on time.
Users will be automatically billed the replacement cost of any piece of equipment that is past due for three days. Users who are billed replacement charges for any piece of equipment will have borrowing privileges permanently revoked for all equipment.