English Language Learners & International Students
On This Page
Help with Translations
Google Translator Translate websites, documents & text into 52 languages, ranging from Afrikaans to Yiddish.
You can also view this Glossary of Library Terms (275KB .pdf) that includes frequently used library terms translated into Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, & Spanish, as well as this list of Library Definitions (48KB .pdf) that explains what each term means. Both documents are borrowed from the Association of College & Research Libraries website.
Library Resources for English Language Learners (ESL / ELL)
Improve your English skills online with Mango Languages. You’ll need your Miami Unique ID and password to connect to the site from off-campus. By creating a Mango account, you’ll be able to work through a variety of learning exercises at the pace you need.
- The resources below are available for checkout from Rentschler Library:
- Basic English
- Improve your English: English in Everyday Life
- English Vocabulary for Beginning ESL Learners
- English Grammar for ESL Learners
- Intermediate English Grammar for ESL Learners
- McGraw-Hill's Essential ESL Grammar: A Handbook for Intermediate & Advanced ESL Students
- McGraw-Hill’s Conversational American English: The Illustrated Guide to the Everyday Expressions of American English
- Pronounce it Perfectly in English (Audio CD)
- Speak English Like an American: You already Speak English--Now Speak it even Better! (Book & CD set)
- Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms (Online Book; Requires Miami Unique ID and Password to Connect)
Pronounciation & Grammar Online
- English Pronunciation Podcasts: Wide range of topics, including how Americans speak English, long and short vowels, sentence structure, etc.
- TalkEnglish.com on Pronounciation: Explanations, instructions, and audio files to help you pronounce sounds of letters correctly.
- Guide to Grammar & Writing: Organized by level & skill, Grammar Guide includes Word & Sentence Structure & Essay / Research Paper.
- BBC Skillwise: Practical Literacy Skills including Sentence Structure, Word Grammar, & Reading/Writing.
Top Library Links for International Students
Check Your Library Account
Get Research Help
Access Course Reserves Online
Internet Research Shelf
Research by Subject
Book Search Tips
Tips for Finding Articles
Help Citing Resources