Help with Translations
Google Translator Translate websites, documents, and text into 52 languages, ranging from Afrikaans to Yiddish.
You can also view this language table (275 KB pdf) that includes frequently used library terms translated into Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, and Arabic, as well as this list of definitions (231 KB pdf) that explains what each term means. Both documents are borrowed from the Association of College & Research Libraries website.
Library Resources for English Language Learners (ESL / ELL)
The resources below are available for checkout from Rentschler Library:
- Basic English
- Improve your English: English in Everyday Life
- English Vocabulary for Beginning ESL Learners
- English Grammar for ESL Learners
- Intermediate English Grammar for ESL Learners
- McGraw-Hill’s Essential ESL Grammar: A Handbook for Intermediate & Advanced ESL Students
- McGraw-Hill’s Conversational American English: The Illustrated Guide to the Everyday Expressions of American English
- Pronounce it Perfectly in English (Audio CD)
- Speak English Like an American: You already Speak English–Now Speak it even Better! (Book & CD set)
- Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms (Online Book; Requires Miami Unique ID and Password to Connect)
Pronounciation and Grammar Online
- English Pronunciation Podcasts: Wide range of topics, including how Americans speak English, long and short vowels, sentence structure, etc.
- Learner’s Dictionary: Explanations, instructions, and audio files to help you pronounce words correctly.
- Guide to Grammar & Writing: Organized by level & skill, Grammar Guide includes Word & Sentence Structure & Essay / Research Paper.
- BBC Skillwise: Practical Literacy Skills including Sentence Structure, Word Grammar, & Reading/Writing.